Thursday 25 April 2013

Barge boards and gable almost done

Today FINALLY, we set about replacing the barge boards and the weatherboards in the gable. We almost got there but as always, daylight faded and left us in darkness so we had to pack up. Some of the tin blew off the roof so we had to cover it in tarpaulin, ruining the finesse of my final photo!
Many neighbours came to comment and encourage us. One funky young family welcomed me to the area and said they'd catch up with me again.
I will update this timelapse with the finished gable on the weekend.



I am so pleased with my trim colour. You can't really see it here, but it is a purply grey. When rinsing the paint afterwards, the paint had separated and you could clearly see purple/ magenta, black and white. Love it.  



Afterwards, we hit the local pub, The Reverence. I have meaning to go there for ages. Being the only real alternative live music venue in the West, and run by the same people who ran the Arthouse, it's a bit of an institution. The menu is vegan friendly with the owner one themselves. I had a delicous vegan taco meal. The owner's dog walks around freely but I forgot to get a photo. 
The beer garden was full this evening, is it always this busy on a school night?
In short, I loved it and want to go back ASAP.


Upon arrival, I had to go to the toilets and wash all the dirt off my face. Luckily I had some lipstick in my bag to try and transform myself.  The bar girl stared at my stained (though washed) hands and tried to conceal her disgust and not touch me as she handed me some change.

12 comments:

  1. Take me there!
    -sal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we should go there before Tool????

      Delete
  2. before Tool????!




    Joanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna K or T? Yeah, Tool are touring <3 <3 :D

      Delete
  3. It's nice to see that the gable's being restored to its former glory. I think it is still the most charming type of roof, even if it's simple and inexpensive to construct. :] The tricky part would be taking measurements and cutting the ceiling joists. Well, just the same with other types of roof, measurement is the key to fit all planks together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a most charming type of roof. The triangle creates such strength, I think I would be able to build a little children's cubby now using these principles I've learned on my house :D

      Delete
  4. Wonderful presentation. I love the way it discuss it makes me sound interested. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comments :) So glad to have new readers on board.

      Delete
  5. Oldie but still a goodie. I would love to see how it turns out after you’re done with all the required renovations. And it’s nice that the neighbors were supportive and enthusiastic to have you there.

    The gif was a nice touch, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kevin. Thank you for your lovely comment!! Love getting the feedback. I try to do the gifs to give that feeling of tracking the progress to readers- as I can see it every day but readers can't. Keep on reading :D Thanks, Caz

      Delete
  6. Hi Caz! I can't believe I came across your blog! I walk past your house everyday as I live nearby, and have always admired the renovations that you have done to your property.

    I literally walked past this morning, and thought to myself that your front door style is exactly the kind of thing we are after as we are going through a similar project (also in the same suburb!). Would you mind if I took a photo of your door from outside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thanks for your comment and thanks for the interest -I love that the neighbours get joy out of my frontage too :) Seems an age since I did the blog, thank goodness the reno project is pretty much done. You are welcome to take photos and also welcome to knock on the door to peek inside for any potential inspiration. Great to hear there's another restoration going on in the area rather than demolition :) Caz

      Delete