Monday 24 June 2013

Site Cleanup

This last weekend felt like one of the most productive so far. I had been looking forward to it:
The roller door was finally installed which meant 
The skip could finally be delivered (in the laneway) which meant
The site could be cleared of the huge piles of junk everywhere which means
I can now get the bulky windows/ doors delivered


We maintained a half arsed fire which kept falling out of the brazier as you can see. A police helicopter flew over at one point but it turns out they weren't after little old me.  


 The view down the laneway which I commandeered as mine for the weekend. I was lucky that the laneway backs on to the railway building site, so I had relative freedom to smoke the place out. When I have parties, everyone can spill out on to the laneway.


    How the pile looked before




How the pile looked during. I can't show you any "after" photos as it's always dark when we leave! Next week.
Hooray! Our finished product. a whole day of filling the skip carefully to use every single space. The truck probably snapped in half trying to lift it up. 
Excuse the dirt all over the face.


Closing my new roller door at the end of the day. :D I now have rear access. Those sticks will continue to be burned over the next couple of weekends.



With the back temporarily open, the proximity to Franco Cozzo was revealed. I mean how many people can boast that? (This is a Melbourne institution, hard to explain)



Tonight after work I went to Bunnings to order all my doors and windows. Scary! Once again, no idea what I'm doing. Hope it turns out OK.
Also, in the photo I am plugging my good friend Jane's new book  "Midnight Blue and Endlessly Tall" A stunning read which I thoroughly recommend. You can buy an electronic copy, or a hard copy. (Snail copy?)

5 comments:

  1. How satisfying that must be for you, especially snapping your new roller door closed.
    allnall another brick in the wall.
    Well done xx A.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh! Woops, it's a Melbourne thing. In the 80s and 90s, the TV ads would be full of Franco Cozzo. It's a uber woggy (being Australian you know the jovial innocent use of that word) furniture store. The guy himself, Franco Cozzo used to talk in the ads in Italian, Greek and a bit of English. They have stores in Brunswick, and Footscray. That is how Melbournians now say "Bruns-a-wick, Foot-is-cray" etc because of his accent in the ad.
      The stores generally look neglected and covered in dust, and are also laughed at as being mafia fronts. Here is an example of the type of furniture you can get there

      http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2173/2233259031_9cfc2acd2f_z.jpg?zz=1
      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_7WUBPpMB1u8/TVDMPfJYB1I/AAAAAAAAAKo/JVQwoxjrbmM/s1600/IMG_0680.JPG

      Delete
    2. If you're really bored:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUVd9NMM_k

      I should delete this comment as my blog rates highly on Google now and I dont want the Franco Cozzo people to see it hehe

      Delete
  3. Wow ced!!! Amazing progress. That roller door etc makes a huge diff. Looks awesome. Love the use of the lane. You'll be moving in before you know it. Grand sale grand sale grand sale.

    ReplyDelete