Sunday 28 April 2013

The gable and what lies behind it

The gable is finished! Well, the nails have to be filled then another coat of paint.



Kate discovered something very exciting. There is an attic: large and completely open -you can almost stand up in the middle. Therefore, she suggested lining it and turning it in to a loft/ storage/ retreat area. Bean bag and a lamp.


A long way down if you lose your footing. I should do an injury tally page thus far, such fun!


My Vietnamese next door neighbours were cooking an Asian BBQ and bought us over some snacks. Very kind!


The finished gable :D  Satisfying to see a part of the house looking finished. The neighbour opposite over the road stuck her thumb up when she came out her front gate - she must like her improving outlook.
One of the railway workers came in to my house today to look around. He spent 15 minutes telling me things he would have done things differently. As I was late to run a load to the tip that was closing, I silenced him by saying "yeah, well actually I don't even like period homes, I like ultra modern"



So happy to realise that a lot of the weatherboards revealed under the cladding are in good condition and don't need to be replaced. They just need a bit of sanding, No More Gaps then painting.
I am currently waiting on a quote from a carpenter to restore the verandah and install a front door but in hindsight I could have done it myself maybe. I waste most tradesmen's time with confused quote requests, so why not keep going.
As you can see, I removed the plywood that was boarded up over the window. I hope no one breaks in until I board it up on the inside. I started restoring the old window frame today.



7 comments:

  1. It looks fantastic, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The (grr) able and wow she has achieved. Well Done xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw babes! looking so rad! Total score having nice Vietnamese neighbours bring food over! and what a goose that railway worker was.. bloody sticky nose!
    Can you imagine the sound of the rain on the corrugated iron while you're chilling in your bean bag loft?! man I miss that sound! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I forgot about that, rain on a tin roof! Wow!

      Delete
  4. I want Vietnamese neighbours ...... Well done Caroline,it's all looking super duper, what colour will you paint the outside? Keep up the good work. Alison xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly the posts will become more exciting soon, once the demolition phase is over!
      The colour will be off white with dark purply grey trim and a bright red front door. I wish I could paint it pink with purple trim :(

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for putting your effort on presenting your ideas and thought clearly. It so easy to understand. Thank you so much. Looking forward for your next post.

    ReplyDelete